Monday, May 12, 2008

On My Mind

As I've explained in my other posts I'm not much of a runner; I'm trying to be but I'm not there yet. Right now, running is a drag for me. I do it on occasion (on a rare occasion, which isn't good because my half marathon is getting closer everyday) but I do it. Everyone tells me that the more you run the more you like it, but I don't know if I believe them. I'm still in the mindset that it's pretty terrible and that I'd much rather be sitting on my couch watching television.

The photo that I've included with this post is representative of what goes on in my mind while I'm out running.
Even though I try to use music as a distraction, my mind still wanders and tends to focus on the negative. Time is a big one for me. The time always feels like it passes so slowly, and it seems like no matter how fast I run I'm not getting anywhere. The hourglass though an accurate measurement of times kind of has that antiquated feel that makes you think time is just trickling by.

I also included a guillotine in the photo because running can feel like torture. The torture connection is twofold. I have played sports all my life and sometimes in athletics running is used as punishment. Granted it's used as punishment because it benefits your endurance, but it's hard to break the link. So, though I'm running because "I want to know" (still trying to convince myself that this is true), I still dread it. The second torture connection is the fact that I'm out running instead of just being sedentary. I really, really enjoy laying on my couch and watching tv. I have a stockpile of shows on my DVR and my couch is so soft and snuggly. Breaking my sedentary nature will be the hardest part of training for my half marathon.

And finally, the big, juicy hamburger. As I see it because I'm out burning calories, I can then eat whatever I want. It's kind of like my reward for getting up and out of the house. Not necessarily the best motivation but you got to do what you got to do.

No comments: