Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Training Schedule


I found a training schedule for my upcoming half-marathon. I was drawn to this one mainly because it's free. Lots of other sites have good training program but they charge for them, and I'm not sure I'm committed enough to this half-marathon to pay upwards of $30 for a training program. This program also seems pretty manageable. I don't know if I'll follow it to the letter, but it's a good place to start. Most of the training programs I found for beginners didn't feel like they were truly made for novices. The level of intensity of those programs made me second guess myself and rethink this whole half-marathon thing. But Hal Higdon's program feels like it was not only made for novice half-marathoners but novice exercisers as well. This is quite appealing to me because I've never been much of a gym rat. Most training programs suggest some sort of strength training that requires weight machines and a gym membership. Hal keeps it simple: push-up, sit-ups and possibly some free weights. I can do push-ups and sit-up; weight machines and a gym membership I can not. Hal's program allows me to get in shape for this half-marathon in a way that is in keeping with my level of commitment to exercise. I decided that I wanted to run this half-marathon as a catalyst for a better lifestyle. The half-marathon is not the end goal but the motivation to get off my couch and start a healthy life.

Image - http://www.flickr.com/photos/giladbenari/864956779/

No comments: